Get Answers  →   COVID-19   employer   worker  

What is the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)?

What is the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)?

The OEC is an exit clearance document issued by the Philippines Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) for domestic workers to exit the Philippines and work abroad. It is proof that the government allows the worker to migrate and domestic workers cannot leave the Philippines legally without it. 

If your worker is processing the new contract from the Philippines to come to Hong Kong to start work, your employment agency would be processing the OEC on his/her behalf.

If your worker is travelling back to her home for vacation, he/she would need to obtain an OEC by themselves so he/she could exit the Philippines and return to Hong Kong. 

Validity of OEC

The OEC is valid for 60 days from the first day it is issued. It is only valid for a single exit from the Philippines so domestic workers need to apply for a new OEC everytime they exit from the Philippines. 

From 15 Aug 2022, workers can no longer revalidate their OEC immediately at the airport if their OEC has expired. Workers must leave the Philippines before their OEC expires and if the OEC has expired already, they would need to re-apply.

Latest updates (July 2022):

New Requirements for Applying for the OEC:

  1. PAG-IBIG Member ID Number

Since Feb 2022, the POEA requires all domestic workers to have the PAG-IBIG Member ID number according to this joint POEA – PAG-IBIG Advisory. PAG-IBIG is a home development fund run by the Philippines government. The payment of member contributions will be borne by the worker.  OEC will not be processed if the domestic worker does not have the PAG-IBIG Member ID number.

Steps for Online Membership Registration:

  1. Log on to PAG-IBIG Fund official website and click E-Services,
  2. Under Membership, click Membership Registration then click Continue to Register,
  3. Enter your Last Name, First Name, Middle Name and Date of Birth followed by security code and click Proceed,
  4. Start online membership registration by filling out all mandatory field and then click Submit. 

Upon successful registration, you will receive your Registration Tracking Number (RTN) and after 48 hours you can now obtain and use your PAG-IBIG Member ID number.

Workers who already have their PAG-IBIG Member ID number simply needs to enter their information into their e-Registration account by logging into this link

How to apply for the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) or Exemption?

Workers can apply for the OEC online or visit the office of The Philippines Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) in the Philippines or Philippines Overseas Labour Office (POLO) in Hong Kong. 

A new web-based processing system was launched in June 2021 to replace the old BM Online system. It is known as POPS-BaM or POEA Online Processing System for Balik-Manggagawa (Returning Overseas Filipino Worker). Records from the old BM Online System are automatically transferred to POPS-BaM 2-6 hours after the e-registration account is created.

Workers are recommended to apply for the OEC online via POPS-BaM directly if possible. If workers prefer to apply for the OEC at the POEA office in person or online application is not applicable, they should still set an appointment online via POPS-BaM first. 

Steps to Create a new e-Registration Account 

  1. Go to and click ‘Let’s Go’ under e-Registration 
  2. Click ‘Register’
  3. Fill out the form 
  4. Log-in with the temporary password sent to your registered email
  5. You will be asked to enter a new password. Enter and confirm your password.
  6. Upon login, go to “My Profile” and fill out your information to access your account.

Who can get the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) Exemption Online without in-person appointment?

Only workers who are returning to the same employer and jobsite with a previous POEA record can get the OEC Exemption Online. 

If the worker processed the current contract in the Philippines through a recruitment agency, the online system should have a POEA record of the same employer, qualifying for the OEC Exemption Online. 

If the worker acquired an OEC in his/her previous vacation in the Philippines under the same employer, the worker is qualified for the OEC Exemption Online this time. 

How to get your Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) Exemption Online:

  1. Login 
  2. Click ‘Balik Manggagawa‘ under My Links and click ‘Next’
  3. Enter flight schedule and Click ‘Next’
  4. Answer yes to both questions 
  5. Print OEC 

If the worker processed the contract in Hong Kong and it is the first time for the worker to return to the Philippines under this employer, the worker would need to schedule an appointment with the POEA office in the Philippines or POLO office in Hong Kong. 

How to schedule an appointment If Online OEC Exemption is not applicable?

  1. Login 
  2. Click ‘Balik Manggagawa‘ under My Links and click ‘Next’
  3. Enter flight schedule and click ‘Next’
  4. Enter new contract details 
  5. Book an appointment. Select your preferred POEA office in the Philippines or POLO office in Hong Kong 
  6. Attend the appointment with the following required documents/information 
    • Appointment Sheet (2 copies)
    • Notarized Employment Contract (original)
    • Work Visa (original and 2 copies)
    • Philippine Passport (original and 2 copies)
    • OWWA membership fee receipt 
    • Employers’ HKID no 
  7. Pay the processing fees at authorized payment channels 
    • The processing fee for OEC in Hong Kong is HKD$20. 
    • If you are processing the OEC at a POEA office in the Philippines, the processing fee is 100 PHP.
  8. Print OEC 

If you are in Hong Kong, you are recommended to book an appointment with the Philippines Overseas Labour Office (POLO) before departure.

Philippines Overseas Labour Office (POLO) in Hong Kong

Address: 2902, 29/F United Centre, 95 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong. 

Phone: +852 2866 0640 / 2865 2445

Opening Hours: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (Sun-Thu)

What if you have a problem with your e-Registration account or an issue with your OEC?

  1. Go to Department of Migrant Workers – Online Services: and search for DMW Helpdesk
  2. Choose “Create Ticket” and the right service and concern
  3. Choose from the “Select Processing site near you” which DMW office you want to take action on Helpdesk Ticket
  4. Remember the Ticket Number that the system will give. This will be used to trace and follow-up your concern
  5. You can follow-up your ticket at:…/OFWTicketInquiry.aspx

For other inquiries or immediate assistance, contact the appropriate office that will respond to your concern:

For concern about e-Registration, please contact Manpower Registry Division at (02) 8722-11-72 or (02) 8722/11-81 or email

For concerns with OEC, please contact Balik-Manggagawa Processing Division at (02) 8721-07-85 or email


Further information:

You may also like



Last updated on December 13th, 2022